2015年7月11日星期六

Susan's Class



I had Susan's class on Wednesday morning.

It was a torture to stay in WLH 003.  Half a minute after I stepped into the classroom, I felt it was really cold there. I was wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt and flip-flops. As time passed, cold was eating me out. The whole room was a big refrigerator. I got goose bumps.  I tried not to tremble.  Minutes were like hours. From time to time I had the urge to flee out of the classroom. No, I was supposed to observe the class.  There was no reason to give up.

Susan was amazing. She can make a good actress. She screamed, smiled, frowned and whistled. She imitated so vividly how people would react in different situations when interpreting new words that all the students knew instantly what those words mean. She drew a little. While the rough sketch of parachute within seconds amazed me, the clumsy but lovely image of a camel threw us into an understanding smile. "Don't look up in the dictionary," she said, "Susan is a walking dictionary."

It was a reading and writing class. She had the students read the passages about introduction and conclusion of a writing. "Introduction is like your first impression of a person," Susan said. Then, she went out of the classroom. I felt it a little strange. But the students didn't seem to be surprised. Well, let's wait and see.  In a few seconds, Susan came in. "Hello, nice to meet you." She greeted in a mild way lowering her head while giving a quick look at everyone. Before I could figure out the whole thing, Susan came in again. "Hi, you guys!" She stranded in a whirlwind and brought a rap style typical of those black pop stars. The third time, there came the ring of a mobile, and with it Susan rushed in. "Hi!" Hardly did she hurry a greeting when she dashed to her bag and answered the phone. "Hey, what's up?" All those happened within a minute, in which we saw three different types of people and understood there are hundreds of different ways to begin your writing and impress your audience.

Being a teacher needs overall development. I knew that before. But I never expect a teacher can be so creative and expressive. It really was a worthwhile experience to observe a class so different .

1 条评论:

  1. Your descriptive writing is so strong I could use you in my class this coming week where we will work on just such an assignment. I'll have to tell Susan to read this...she would truly appreciate it.

    回复删除