2015年7月3日星期五

A Colorful World-- My First Impression of America


There was a drizzle when I arrived in america.   
It was cool. Nobody was waiting outside of the terminal building.  I went to the welcome center of the airport and asked if i could get a shuttle to Yale University.   The woman in red uniform kindly recommended two companies and called them.  Then she said one of the company could arrange shuttle in 20 minutes.  After a while a man came.  He was the driver. He helped carry my luggage to the shuttle.  Then I saw it.  Green logos run all over the white shuttle-- "Go Airport Shuttle".  I like it.  See? what impresses me most in America is the colors.   



Besides the 'go-airport-shuttle' I see a bold mix of colors wherever I go.  Red hair. blonde. black. even green hair...with shining scarlet lipsticks, lavender eye shadows and ridiculous high-heels, yellow and orange store logos in black background... Everything is reminding me that I am in a total strange land.   





Among the variety of colors. I see Yale's official uniform-- indigo and white  T-shirt. Students from around the world come here in summer session.  They wear indigo and white proudly, vests, ribbons, bags, water bottles...  



Julie, our counselor in Yale Summer Session, showed us posters about the recent school activities.  The words are written in lovely font.  Midnight blue lines, red curves, green titles... Each poster is designed differently.  When all the posters are pasted onto the stair walls, they build unique atmosphere and attract me a lot. 

Back in our country, there is a growing trend of being colorful.  Still, I can see some differences.  Americans are good at using the colors that are only seen in palette package in China.  And they are more creative in applying different mixtures to various purposes.  Being bold and creative is their way of expressing themselves.

2 条评论:

  1. What a delightful observation! I too LOVE color and plant as many different flowers as I can so each morning I begin my day with a full pallet. I admire your metaphoric language...thank you for writing. I learn so much about you all from your daily lives and the choices you make, and that is why I teach....to learn.

    回复删除