2015年8月2日星期日

I Live in Calhoun

I joined a campus tour-- at a time of countdown.

Sitting in the comfortable air-conditioned waiting room of the visitor center, I, along with other visitors, watched the 15-minute promotion MV "Why I choose Yale" twice.  A sense of belonging, a sense of pride arose.

Our tour guide is a Yale graduate, Zhou. She speaks in a very quick speed.  Her great body movement while she speaks amuses me.  She said she was a Davenport college graduate. 

From Phelps Gate, we followed her to Nathan Hale Statue, the old Yale president, Brandford college, Sterling Memorial Library, Hewitt Quad, Beiecke Library, Memorial Hall, Yale Bookstore.  All the places seemed familiar after 5 weeks of staying.  However, I listened attentively to Zhou's narration.  She was proud of spending part of her life, maybe the most important part of her life in Yale.  She talked about her parents' reaction to her decision to Yale, about the blind date in Yale, about the ridiculous but funny costume, her favorite pasttime, and her enjoyment in club life, living with other students in Davenport college, how she felt when meeting renowned scholars, famous alumni, etc.  Every place was associated with her sweet memories.  



Somehow I didn't take any pictures during the tour.  Instead, I tried to feel Zhou's emotions.  Upon arriving the ending point-- Yale bookstore, Zhou stopped at a big sign attached on the wall of the pathway between Apple Store and Yale Bookstore.  She grabbed a corner of the sign and waited until all the tourists came near.  I was surprised and asked why she held that corner.  She smiled and said she would explain.  That turned out to be her ending remarks.  She expressed her loving affections toward Yale, and Davenport college in particular and the sign she was holding actually symbolizes Davenport college.  At that moment, I was almost moved into tears.  I looked at the twelve signs on the wall and heard the second one was Calhoun college where I live.  What she said was almost my words.


Yale, Calhoun College.





3 条评论:

  1. A lovely early good-bye, Rachel...it is moving to leave a part of our lives behind us...no matter how long or how short our stay. I'm glad you are here now...enjoy your last few days.

    回复删除
  2. I'm so glad you were able to empathize and identify with Zhou. And I'm happy that you felt a sense of pride of where you live while you are here!

    回复删除
  3. Enjoy your last night in Calhoun...and now for the GOOD NEWS!
    It is also your LAST NIGHT of DINING HALL FOOD! Tommorow you'll be home with family and friends and delicious Chinese dishes...think of us when you enjoy them.
    Until we meet again....travel safely.

    回复删除